Tuesday, August 21, 2012

1st day at the Embassy

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Had a great time at the bbq we attended yesterday.  It was at my new boss' house and we met most of the Marines from the embassy. I also met another Marine wife, which is always wonderful!  Semper Gumby! We had fried chicken, beans, & potato salad.  Kirk played spades with the Marines & my new boss.

The weather is so hot here...upper 90's and it is supposed to be over 100 by the end of the week.  We are not supposed to wear shorts or sleeveless shirts out in public so it is brutally hot! 

We went to the embassy today.  Kirk got his i.d. and I started my new job.  I like my new office, I have a great workspace.  I am meeting all the different sections and getting all my paperwork done.  I am trying to remember so many new faces/names and learn the layout of the embassy and try to figure out what I will actually be doing!  I met with Ambassador and DCM this morning.  They were very nice and welcoming!  Everyone has been so nice. Our sponsors (who are also our neighbors) have really gone out of their way to help us. 

Today after work, we walked to a couple of local shops (butcher, fruits/veggies, convenience type store).  It is definitely a third world country...the streets and sidewalks are not well cared for (when there are sidewalks at all) and there is quite a bit of trash around.  Lots of stray cats everywhere....we brought one home with us.  If he doesn't do well, we can always eat him.....JUST KIDDING!! (That was Kirk's idea!!). 

We did ok communicating in the stores...as long as they speak slowly enough!  The roads are not well marked and are very narrow and winding so we didn't venture too far. We found a small gelato shop and stopped for a gelato.  It was very good!  I even figured out how to ask to sample the different flavors!  LOL  There was a pizzeria on the street across from the gelato store but we didn't eat there yet.  One adventure at a time!

We are joining the "dinner club" at the embassy.  Each week, they pick a new restaurant and a bunch of people go out to eat and try the new restaurant.  Tomorrow we are going to a steak house.  Yum!  It will be a nice break from baked chicken, wild rice and tuna sandwiches for lunch! 

Friday we are taking a trip to a nearby beach to see the local ruins and do a little souvenier shopping with a group from the embassy.  It should be fun. Will keep you posted and post some photos as soon as I can find my camera cord!

2 comments:

  1. O.o My parents have a cat?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Never thought I'd see that day from Mr. Ihatecats

    ReplyDelete
  2. No cats here silly!! That was daddy's sense of humor! :)

    ReplyDelete